This was a fun little project I did many years ago while I was on a mission to imitate hand red work with my machine. The pattern is one of mine, Marian's Floral Bouquet. It is designed at 22 x 26. It is available as a digital version for computerized quilting machines and printed for hand quilting and embroidery, domestic and long arm quilting, etc.
I used white muslin for the back and white cotton sateen for the top. In this version, I quilted the red work on my computerized machine first with only the batting and top fabric (because I was trying for a traditional look and didn't want the red on the back). Once the red work was done it was removed from the frame. I pinned the muslin back onto the frame, added one more thin batting and the "embroidered" top. I used a combination of ruler work and freehand quilting to finish it. Hope you enjoy the photos. Links to purchase patterns are below.
Freehand quilting in border.
Freehand quilting around the vase of flowers.
Diamond cross hatch done with rulers.
The photos below are what inspired me to try and get the "hand done" look by machine. A friend of mine, Robbie Decker, hand embroidered the top using my pattern. I quilted it on my long arm - freehand.